The active compounds of salvia divinorum are salvinorin A en salvinorin B. The main compound salvinorin A is currently the strongest isolated hallucinogenic substance known.
You cannot compare Salvia with other hallucinogenic plants like magic mushrooms and cacti, is has it's own unique effect. Salvia causes only a short trip, 20 minutes to 1 hour. After this you return to reality quickly.
During the trip several states can occur: 2-dimensional hallucinations, out of body experiences, becoming a object, travelling back in time, being in more places at once and uncontrolled laughing.
The S-A-L-V-I-A trip scale shows 6 trip stages:
• S - SUBTLE effects, Relaxation and increased sensual appreciation may be noted. This mild level is useful for meditation and may facilitate sexual pleasure.
• A - ALTERED perception, colors and textures are paid attention to. Thinking becomes less logical, and more playful.
• L - LIGHT visionary state. Closed eye visuals (clear imagery with eyes closed).
• V - VIVID visionary state. Complex three dimensional realistic appearing scenes occur. With eyes closed you experience fantasies. So long as your eyes are closed you may believe they are really occurring.
• I - IMMATERIAL existence. Individuality may be lost; one experiences merging with the Divine.
• A - AMNESIC effects. Loss of consciousness. The individual may fall, or remain immobile or thrash around. Dangerous!
The Mazatec indians used two methods of consuming salvia: chew for a long time and then swallow down the leaves, or dissolve the leaves partially in water and drink it. However, both methods are not very tasteful.
When you are new to salvia, start of with only a very small amount to test your sensitivity. The effect of salvia are different for each person and can for some be very overwhelming.
It is important to use the salvia in a quiet, dark environment (with some candles for instance). A television is deadly for the experience, but an appropriate piece of music can be very inspiring. If you have no experience with salvia or other entheogenic substances, having a sober sitter present is absolutely necessary.
For more tips about using Salvia, see Salvia.net.
BE CAREFUL WITH THE 5X, 10X, 20X AND 30X EXTRACTS OF SALVIA, USE THEM ONLY WITH A SITTER PRESENT, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH NORMAL SALVIA!!!
Salvia is not dangerous or addictive, but it is not a party drug! So use it in a quiet and intimate environment so the salvia can show it's full advantage.